Here is the first block of critique questions offered by Ms. Lakin.
- Does your story begin with some sort of conflict—either internal or external?
- Does the beginning set up the bigger “conflict” of the entire novel, the issue that drives your protagonist toward his/her end goal?
- Is your protagonist conflicted or is embroiled in some external conflict?
- Are there too many conflicts going on in the book? Too few?
- Is there an overarching conflict present in the story that is key to the premise and grows to a climax and resolution?
- Does your protagonist face one conflict or obstacle after another (each worse than the previous) that force him/her to have to make a tough decision(s)?
- Does the conflict serve the interest of the story or is it just thrown in the book for excitement?
To read more critique questions, visit C.S. Lakin’s website HERE.